Sunday, January 22, 2012

This pic of Lisa Nicole Carson

When I lived in a digs called the Zoompf in Port Elizabeth, South Africa,  my sole design solution was buying imported magazines by the kilogram, then tearing them apart and prestikking the pages to my walls. I spent several years living there, so most of the images have been seared into my brain's read-only memory.

Among them is this image of a lady named Lisa Nicole Carson. Her career peaked in around the turn of the millennium, when she was appearing in supporting roles on ER and Ally McBeal at the same time.

I'm not sure what mag this comes from, although I suspect it was one out of New York called Paper. The gutter credit implies she was shot for Vibe magazine. Suffice to say that for several years this was the sexiest idea of a woman in my life.

I believe the lovely, curvaceous LNC experienced substance and psychological issues and pretty much fell off the celebrity radar after her halcyon years. But thanks to the glory of the magical multipipe, I have been able to dig up the very same image that fascinated me for so many years.


I don't know a single thing about black women's hair, save to note that it is a thing of power and glory. And to remark that you just don't see enough of this kind of hair these days. Or bodies as bangin' as late-Nineties Lisa Nicole Carson. Or cheekbones like that. Or tops like that. Okay, jury's out on the top, but the overall impression is pretty fly. Just thought I'd point that out. For me, this lady was the queen in the Nineties.

Apparently she's made a comeback of sorts recently, appearing in an episode of Harry's Law. But this here was the heyday, man!

7 comments:

Mxolisi Ngonelo said...

This is sad to say the least. I would really like to know if the dynamics are different between black and white celebrities and their ineptitude at handling celebrity and fame. It's a real damn shame what's happened to this vision of pulchritude. This lady will forever be etched in my memory for sexy, sensuous, seductive ingenue she played in 'Jason's Lyric'.

Unknown said...

Was she not just the greatest? Damn shame. I must go find that Jason's Lyric!

Unknown said...

Hagen, just read something you posted about Lisa Nicole Carson in Januaryand felt compelled to correct you. I have always been enamored with Miss Carson as well and was disappointed with your writing. With just a tad bit of research you would have discovered that she suffers from a mental illness and not the convenient crack head narrative you have adopted. I hope you will now research and correct your statement as it mistakenly reinforces a tragic stereotype of african americans and deminishes the accomplishments and beauty of Miss Carson. Thanks.

Unknown said...

Also, it appears she may have a handle on her mental health issues as she just appeared as a judge on the final episode of Harry's Law. I, for one, am very happy to hear that she is working again.

Unknown said...

Hi Basil-Malik
Thanks for your input. I have researched the issue further, as you recommend and made changes to update the career details of this great actress.
H

Anonymous said...

Watching Love Jones and seeing this lady brought her back to mind. She was a gem. I expected her career to soar. She brought it like no one else in the business. Though I had read of her struggles and strife I was hopeful that we would see her revived and in our midst's again. Lisa has innate qualities that set her apart & above other actresses. She was quite the woman on screen. She also possessed a great singing voice. I would love to see her back in the business. Whether Jason's Lyric, Love Jones, Ally McBeal, ER or any other body of work I may have neglected to mention, a shinning star is missing. I would love to witness her rebirth. Lisa is the greatest on a lot of levels.

BeachBlonde said...

Lisa is a friend of mine from waaay back and I am glad to see that you updated the incorrect and improper "bio". Lisa is a lovely and enaging person, with talent to spare, and I hope that her return to television is out of joy and love for the craft.